Starting a new carpet cleaning business includes little risk. In fact, every business is risky when it is has a new startup. Many things are there, that need to plan, sort and prepare before you jump into the industry of business.
Unfortunately, many entrepreneurs do not properly prepare themselves and their new business to succeed. As per the Small Business Association, fifty percent of new business fail during the first five years.
Owning a startup of carpet cleaning business and taking it to a prominent position is not just a piece of cake. Understanding the cause, why 50% of the new business close and avoiding those reasons, may just keep your business away from failure.
Here are different reasons, why carpet cleaning business fails and followed up by its solutions:
No Business Plan
There is a well-known quote by Benjamin Franklin:
“If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail”
Just thinking it through is not enough; you need to take initiative and plan down your business. This allows you to focus more on your business plan and workout more on the area of concern. It helps you to identify with your business and the specific service you are providing, as well as legal and financial aspects.
Some of the things you should be showing in your plan:
- Location of your business (office or home based office)
- Who are your customers and how will you reach them?
- What’s your competition and how you will tackle them?
- How many people you are planning to employ and how you will manage the hiring and training procedure?
- What team will you have – management team or an advisory team?
- Will you have an exit plan or a backup plan?
- You will need a financial plan to forecast 1 year, 3 year and 5 year of sales, cash flow, expenses etc.
- Update your business plan on yearly basis.
No Marketing plan
Actually, marketing plan fails under no business plan but it is an important issue, let us see it separately. You need to consider a few things when developing your marketing plan.
- Which area will you be targeting in the market (office buildings, schools, retail, industrial, medical, commercial and residential)?
- What type of services will you provide (upholstery cleaning, rug cleaning, steam carpet cleaning, dry carpet cleaning etc.)?
- What will be your market location?
- Have you set your marketing budget?
- What methods of marketing and advertising will you implement?
- What is the timeline for each activity?
Many carpet cleaning companies start on a shoestring budget. However, if you are focused and dedicated to your business, you will require some bugs to cover the daily expenses. Your business should also have the ability to save bank loans for unwanted financial conditions or emergencies.
Start with a research, calculating for startup costs for a carpet cleaning business. Some things that need to consider are cleaning supplies, cleaning products, vehicles, equipment, office supplies, account, marketing cost and many more.
Hiring employee will also incur extra business costs that you need to consider. Recruiting, administration, testing, orientation and training not to mention wages, all add up quickly.
Like these, you must think about many more other expenses.
Growing Too Fast
Most of the carpet cleaning companies are taking any job that is coming just because to earn money. If you got success initially then it is great, because very few businesses experience rapid income growth. So make sure you always think twice before making any decision.
It is exciting, but in this excitement, you forget your customer. Due to this, you can lose your customers without knowing. This could be possible if the customer finds that he is not getting attention and lost the quality of service you used to provide them before.
Managing existing customer is simpler than finding a new one. So make sure you fulfill the needs of your current customer and take proper care of them. Think different way to sell up additional services such as floor maintenance or window cleaning.
Control your speedy growth. As said, “Slow and steady wins the race”. Growing slowly will definitely end up with best outcomes offering you a good reputation in the market. Furthermore, due to your quality service, you will have a large referral business.
Unaware of the Competition
As we mentioned before it is very important for you to know who is in your competition. Unfortunately, many new business owners start their business without giving a second thought to what they may be up against.
Here is something you need to be aware of when it comes to competition
- Who are they?
- How long they have been in the business.
- How big is their presence?
- How many employees do they have?
- Are they a franchise or an Independent?
- What is their target market and are they in direct competition with you?
- What are their weaknesses and strategies?
- How much they charge for carpet cleaning services.
- What type of services they provide and how they promote them?
A good knowledge of the competition can certainly give your cleaning business an edge. Also, a majority of startups overlook developing strategies for the companies that are not in direct competition but deliver a similar service to the same location.
Lack of Employee Training
The best thing an employer can do in any industry is to invest in training and training programs for their supervisors and front-line employees. Training helps your staff to develop the necessary skills, knowledge, and capabilities to be successful at their job. Consistent and continuous training is extremely important and boosts productivity, performance, and longevity.
Invest in standardized training programs. Standardized training creates consistency and quality within your organization by eliminating mistakes, oversights, and excess waste.
Supervisors need to be thoroughly trained in all programs as well as their role as a leader and how to manage employees. If your supervisors are not well proficient in hiring, training, and evaluating your employees, your business is in trouble from the start.
Follow-up and review are equally important for all your staff. Go back after 30, 60, and 90 days and review the training procedures with the staff. Repetition will help them to retain what they have been trained to do.
These are the reasons and its solutions for why carpet cleaning business fails. Furthermore, if you need to grow your carpet cleaning business then you need to invest in internet marketing.
For that read:
- Unique Ways To Generate Leads for Carpet Cleaning Business
- Carpet Cleaning Marketing Ideas
- Google AdWords – how it is beneficial for carpet cleaning business?
- Reviews Can Help Small-Scale Business to Grow-2018
- How Landing Page Can be Beneficial for Carpet Cleaning Business
- How is SEO Useful for Branding?